Republican collection of microorganisms and repository of EDI pathogens
The laboratory begins its history in 1949, with the reorganization of the Alma-Ata Anti-Plague Station into the Central Asian Research Anti-Plague Institute, which created a structural division with a specialized department – the Museum of Living Cultures.
The laboratory has a rich history, so in different years there worked: K. E. Krasnoshchekova, E. L. Semenova, E. A. Romashova, T. A. Burlachenko, G. Y. Pak and many other outstanding researchers.
Throughout its history, the laboratory has written dozens of scientific papers, hundreds of recommendations and instructions, and conducted research on thousands of strains of microorganisms.
In 1995, candidate of medical Sciences L. E. Nekrasova was appointed as the head of the Museum of Living Cultures.
Main activities of the laboratory:
- Centralized storage and movement of especially dangerous microbial strains
- Storage of microorganisms isolated from various objects of the Republic of Kazakhstan and other countries, test strains for standardization and control of immunobiological preparations and nutrient media, production strains, deposited and patented strains, reference strains, author’s collections, genetically modified microorganisms, microorganisms obtained for identification
- Replenishment of the collection of strains of especially dangerous microorganisms
- Development of effective methods for preserving the viability and stabilization of the main biological properties of pathogens
- Deposition with the aim of further patenting of microorganisms
- Deposition of bacterial pathogens of group I pathogenicity (plague pathogen), allowed only in NSCEDI
- Participation in national STP, international projects, establishing links with collections of foreign countries in order to exchange information and cultures of microorganisms in accordance with the existing legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Distribution of cultures at the request of organizations in accordance with the current legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan